We do not publish unsolicited reviews; review copies of fiction, poetry and non-fiction are yours to keep. Review tickets to DCA films and to the Dundee Rep etc. are available from DURA. Film reviewers: please remember that you will need to make a pitch to review a film at least a week in advance if you want to obtain press tickets from our film editor.
Information for Reviewers
- All reviews are about 600 words in length, up to a maximum of 660. Please abide by this word length – we will not consider reviews over 660 and will ask you to prune before submission
- Click here for reviewing guidelines on: poetry, fiction, art/exhibitions and film. If you are new to reviewing for us please read reviewing advice for Art, Poetry, Film, Theatre and Fiction.
- Book reviews must be completed within three weeks of receiving the text; all other reviews within two days of the event.
- All submissions need to be completed in DURA House style (NOT MHRA or MLA or Harvard etc etc); please check your book titles, quotation marks, indented quotes before you submit; indented quotations should not carry double quote marks.
- Reviews will be edited by both subject and general editors (yes, that’s 2 sets of eyes); please check our website for who these are. As DURA carries the University name, we reserve the right not to publish submissions that we consider inappropriate.
- In the event of only minor changes being required, the editor(s) may make these changes without returning the article to the author. This allows reviews to appear in a timely fashion.
- Submitted reviews are also likely to be teaching texts for the purposes of editing workshops; please inform editors if you do not want your reviews used in this way.
The small but important things:
- Headline in bold:
- Fiction/poetry: title, author, publisher and year, semi-colon, hardback or paperback price.
- Film: film title, film origin/funding, year; dates of screening at the DCA.
- Exhibitions: title, artist, place of exhibition, duration of exhibition.
- Theatre: title, duration of “run” and location
- Double quotation marks are used for all quotes… single quotation marks for quotes within quotes (ie. the American format).
- No quote marks for indented quotes please – it’s irritating to have to correct these.
- Poetry of more than three lines should be indented; poetry of more than 2 lines can be indented. Do not indent poetry of one line only.
- If you are not indenting poetry (for good reasons) please use line breaks: / = line break; //=stanza break.
- Do not italicise or centre quotations unless these are done in the original. Quotes must be exactly as they appear in the original so please make sure the spaces between words/letters reflect original.
- All indented quotes should carry single line spacing.
- For prose quotations, all prose lines of more than 40 words should be indented.
- all novels, poetry collection, film and exhibition titles within your review should be italicised
- titles of individual poems or short stories within the collection should not be italicised but instead be placed within double quote marks.
- Byline (your name in bold) at bottom left.
- Submissions MUST be in word document (we edit using the track change function on word).
- 600 words, 660 max.
How to submit a review
Please email your submissions to the respective sub-editors:
Fiction: Cameron Twiddy (email@example.com), and copy also to Poppy Jarratt (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Poetry: Beth Mcdonough (email@example.com), and copy also to Frances Kelly (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Theatre: Luke MacDonald (email@example.com), and copy also to Stephen Carruthers (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Art: Emma Nellies (email@example.com), and copy also Cate Newton (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Film: Jamie Madden (email@example.com)
Non-Fiction: send to Lorna Hanlon (firstname.lastname@example.org)
To preventing emails from going astray, please also include a copy of your email to email@example.com when you send your submission copy to the one/two of the respective editors. If you have any questions please contact us.